Why Your Company Needs ISO 27001
In an era when companies are being held to high standards for data security, your organization needs ISO 27001 certification.
Implementing ISO 27001 demonstrates that your organization is committed to data and system security and that management plays an active role in ensuring that security is a priority.
What Is ISO 27001?
ISO 27001 is an international standard established by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) that sets forth requirements for information security and brings those standards clearly under the auspices of management.
To become certified, an organization must meet ISO 27001 requirements and pass an ISO 27001 audit.
The requirements include 14 control sets, each with multiple controls:
- Defined information security policies
- Information security organization and assignments
- Human resources security, including employee education
- Asset management
- Access controls that limit employee access only to relevant information to do their jobs
- Encryption and key management of data
- Security of the physical environment and surroundings
- Operations security for facilities where information is processed
- Communications security to protect the information in networks
- System maintenance, acquisition and development to ensure information security is a core component of systems
- Supplier management, including language included in contracts and measures for ensuring requirements are met
- Information security incident management, with guidelines for how breaches or disruptions are reported and staff responsibilities are assigned
- Business continuity management to address and mitigate business disruptions
- Compliance management to identify the laws and regulations that apply to your organization
The scope of ISO 27001 certification is extensive but the benefits are, too.
What Are the Benefits of ISO 27001 Certification?
ISO 27001 is a universal standard for IT security compliance. Here are some of the reasons your organization should pursue ISO 27001 certification:
- Compliance. Certification helps businesses demonstrate and remain in compliance with many different compliance requirements, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), credit card processing mandates and the U.S. Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Gramm-Leach-Billey Act, the latter of which covers financial information. ISO 27001 brings you closer to if not fully in compliance with these and other important mandates.
- Process Improvement. ISO 27001 certification requires businesses to take a close look at their business processes, whether they are directly related to information security or have a security component to them. Certification means continuous process improvement across the organization.
- Reputation Management. Data breaches are costly in many ways. There’s the financial cost to lost data, notification, fines and litigation. There’s also a significant risk to your business’ reputation. Protect the hard-earned reputation your business has with customers, partners and consumers with robust security protocols.
- System Reliability. The scrutiny of your information systems and policies means that your technology will not only be more secure, but more reliable. Certification ensures that there are regular systems in place to monitor and maintain endpoints, software and technical solutions.
- Competitive Advantage. Many contractors and agencies require vendors to have ISO and other certifications before competing for business. Give your business an edge in securing contracts and customers with up-to-date ISO 27001 certification.
What Is Required for ISO 27001 Compliance?
Achieving ISO 27001 certification requires many steps before, during and after the audit. The key steps include:
- A completed risk assessment with potential risks identified
- Remediation of all risks identified in the assessment
- A management system in place to control how data are stored and used
- Creating a process that manages information security policy in the present and future
- Defined control objectives
- A statement of applicability
Preparing your business for an ISO 27001 certification requires an experienced IT partner. At Hybrid Technology Partners, we help businesses conduct the internal assessments, develop the policies and procedures and implement the solutions that make for simpler certification processes. HybridTP’s Consultancy Services can help your business receive this transformational certification.
#IT Consultancy, #ISO 27001. #IT Services, #Managed IT Services Limerick, #Data Security, #Data protection, #HybridTP, #Implementation of ISO, #ISO Certification